Thursday, September 2, 2010

If SHE Likes It, She Should Put A Ring On It

Did you know that in Chile couples wear their wedding rings on their right ring fingers while engaged and then switch the rings to their left hand after they are married?  I didn't know that either until I started to research cool wedding traditions in preparation for creating a post on a different country's wedding customs for this blog.  I kind of like the idea that the Chilean couples both wear engagement rings.  It brings up an issue which I hear about from my engaged girlfriends a lot: why doesn't my man have to wear an indicator that he is taken?  The classic "look-on-his-ring-finger-to-see-if-he-is-taken" can be misleading since any un-ringed guy may or may not be completely "on the market" single.

So when this Wedding Paper Divas blog entry came up on my google reader (OMG I'm so obsessed with my google reader checking all my favorite blogs all day long), I was definitely intrigued.  The post is about "man-gagement" rings and has a picture of Michael Bublé wearing one.  Which I guess the paparazzi figured out because they asked Michael if he had gotten married and he told them that it was a "man-gagement" ring.  The WPD ask their followers if they agree with this idea, if they would want their man to wear a "man-gagement" ring to show the world he is taken.  At the time when I looked at the comments, there were only two and they were both PRO- man-gagement rings.  I'm sure some brides would be against it because it is pretty non-traditional and I'm not sure what exactly is the difference between a man-gagement ring and a wedding ring.  Would the groom wear the man-gagement ring on another finger after he is married?  Most guys don't like to wear a lot of jewelry, much less rings, so I find it hard to believe a married guy would want to wear two rings.  So, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend good money on a ring he will only wear for about a year.  But maybe that's just me, I'm way too practical for my own good sometimes.  I think if this idea strikes a chord with the bride to be, the groom should be open to the idea.  My choice would be a casual ring, nothing too flashy.

As I tried to search for more images, I saw that "mangagement ring" is actually in the urban dictionary.  Which means that it is catching on in our society.  I also saw a bunch of articles talking about this as a new trend and that man-gagement rings are also being given by women who are proposing to their men!  So, what are your thoughts?  Are you progressive or traditional?  Would you think its weird if your friend's fiancé was sporting a ring? 
 
M Bublé sporting the new trend. Source

http://x56.xanga.com/4cef965422035267949107/z213740962.jpg 
Because RR is so dreamy! Source

No comments:

Post a Comment