Just looking at the pictures it is clear that no expense was sparred for each detail small to large. From her dress with a 25 foot train to the magnificent headpiece that she wore, everything was extravagant. I was interested to find out some little known details while researching this wedding and I hope you find them as interesting as I did. There are no pictures from the reception due to the intense privacy of the event but I did find a bunch of ceremony and official portraits. Enjoy!
- David and Elizabeth Emanuel, the designers of the wedding dress helped Diana to get dressed on her wedding day. It cost £9,000 (Source)
- Unfortunately the dress designers had not made allowances for the lack of space in the glass coach that should bring Diana and her father to St. Paul's Cathedral. When the bride alighted from the coach the dress was crumpled and full of creases, not that any of the thousands of spectators minded (Source)
- When saying her vows, Diana changed the order of Charles' forenames, calling him Phillip Charles Arthur George which led Prince Charles to the joke: "Diana, you have actually married my father" (Source)
- After Charles finished the vows he forgot to kiss Diana (Source)
- Numbers: 3,500 people in the congregation at St. Paul's Cathedral, 750 million people watched the ceremony worldwide, yet a billion is the official number when the radio audience is added in. Two million spectators lined the route of Diana's procession from Clarence House, with 4,000 police and 2,200 military officers to manage the crowds (Source)
- After the ceremony, the couple went to Buckingham palace for a small dinner for 120 (Source)
- Diana was the first British citizen to marry an heir to the British throne in 300 years (Source)