Friday, October 7, 2011

Two Years or To Forever?

As much as I adore weddings and everything wedding related (decor! music! lighting! attire! jewels!), above all I really, really, really, adore and respect the institution of marriage.  In that same thought, I pride myself on working with 'marriage clients', not just 'wedding clients' as I love seeing couples focused on the life that starts beyond the big day.  Commitment means something different for each couple; some couples choose to elope after a few months, some waiting a few years and some couples remain monogamous without ever making the trip down the aisle (hello Goldie & Kurt, poster children of long term commitment).

The couples who do choose marriage do so knowing that they are choosing forever.  Well, that may be changing soon for some Mexican citizens. This week news broke that Mexico City is considering a 2 year marriage contract, which would allow newlyweds an 'easy exit' (the article's words, not mine) from their marriage.  If the couple is still happily together, they can choose to renew their marriage certificate.  Yes, I know that realistically the divorce rate in the US is 50% but I can't say that I think giving people an easy out will do anyone any favors.  Getting a tattoo just because you know you can get it removed by lasers in a few years is not a good reason to get a tattoo.  There will always be people who don't take marriage seriously (I'm looking at you, Britney Spears), but the basis of marriage is the whole 'for as long as you both shall live' part.  On the flip side I can see the advantage that not spending the time, energy and money on a divorce would present to couples.  If this law does pass, I'm super curious to see the results in the next few years.  I'd suggest at least some counseling before the couple decides not to renew their marriage certificate.  But I'm not the law, here or in Mexico. 

What do you think of this proposed law and do you think it should be an option in the US?  In Europe? Anywhere?  I know this is a political and religious issue, both topics I generally stay away from in a public forum.  But considering that it is specifically focusing on marriage and has the opportunity to effect many couples, I'm excited to see your thoughts!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment